November 26, 2009 at 2:52 am | Posted in Awkward, Baseball, CUUUUUUUUUUTE, Football, Idiocy, Linky-doodle-doo!, Major League Baseball, Minda's Take, Minor Leagues, NCAA football, NFL | 5 Comments
It’s Thanksgiving today. As much as I often complain about the small problems in my life – my shoulder (less than one month until my next surgery), my ailing car (oh hey! A new warning light!), MLB.tv’s ridiculous blackout policy, or whatever else, I have much for which to be thankful. Here are 50 of them, in no particular order.
1. My family, and all they’ve taught me about love, God, sports and grilling
2. Zack Greinke, for overcoming personal demons to become one of the only viable reasons to be a Royals fan
3. The laptop my family gave me last fall, so my blogging hobby can go everywhere with me
4. My family’s two black lab mixes, who delight me to no end and are adorable
5. Facebook, for more reasons than I can think of
6. The Omaha Royals, who have put up with me as an employee for three seasons now
7. That I had H1N1 in September instead of now
8. My reserved parking space, right next door to my building
9. Husker football
10. All the ladies – past and present – of Ladies…, who continually give female sports fans a great name
11. The gentlemen (ha!) of The Rookies, who have made being the site’s token girl entertaining for many moons
12. My boss and a few professors, who let me take off a few days early for Thanksgiving break
13. Glee, and my coworker who watches it with me nearly every week
I love you, Puck!
14. My campus church community, which probably saved me from being a crazy drunkard in my college career
15. Gmail, which totally operates my life
16. All of the people who take the time to read my various blogs, for whatever reason. (oh hey, that’s YOU!)
17. That two of my brothers have let me live with them the last few summers.
18. The Law & Order re-runs that are always there when I can’t sleep
19. The Chiefs are on a winning streak! OMG!
20. FanGraphs, Baseball-Reference, Minor League Splits, and all the other baseball sites that make me occasionally sound like I know what I’m talking about
21. Joe Posnanski
21a. That Poz let me help him with a book, thus putting my name in a New York Times Bestseller.
22. Kitten Mittons – you’ll be smitten!
23. Twitter, which has allowed me to connect to some amazing writers. (Keith Law RT’ed me the other day. I love technology.)
25. Southern Comfort.
26. My poor, banged-up phone. ‘Tis such a loyal servant.
27. Ndomukong Suh
28. My aunt Julie, who hosted the whole family at her home last weekend
30. Barkeeper’s Friend, one of my all-time favorite cleaning products
31. The great community at Royals Review, who are like a support group when the Royals are struggling the most. Jeez, there are way too many blogs on this list…may I oughta get out of the house once in a while?
32. The way Joe Namath says the word “struggling” when he tries to kiss Suzy Kolber (0:55-second mark)
33. Dr Pepper
34. The lovely city of Omaha
35. That the dude who mugged me this summer was not armed (or else I’d be writing this post from beyooooond the graaaaaaave!)
36. Tom and Lorenzo, who made this otherwise-boring season of Project Runway watchable
37. Ultimate Frisbee
38. MLB Trade Rumors
39. Baseball highlights that can help get me through the long dark winter
40. Every pair of heels in my closet
41. The feast that will be set before me tomorrow afternoon
42. Watching sports with my family, whether we’re in the same city or just texting/e-mailing about the game
43. My sweet internship
44. The exceptionally warm autumn Nebraska enjoyed
45. Albert Pujols
46. Mike Sweeney, one of the few truly good men out there in the professional sports world
47. The friends I’ve made in college, who will hopefully stay in my life for many years and shenanigans to come
48. Having a master key for my building
50. The AP Stylebook
…so there’s that. Thanks again for reading, whatever the reason you’re here. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving, and that no crazy Walmart mobs trample you tomorrow morning!